Pat Riots!

An American patriot, eyewitness to 9/11 in NYC, serving the USA and the world by resisting a war based on lies, economic policies that favor the wealthy and well connected at the expense of everyone else, trying to reach out to and (if possible)reason with Americans who have forgotten what patriotism really is as they attempt to change America into a one party theocracy.

Monday, September 11, 2006

(This whole week of Pat Riots is dedicated to remember 9/11 and what happened afterwards)

5 years ago.

I was watching the Odd Couple, getting ready for work, deciding to take advantage of the somewhat flexible hours at my job ( a non-profit research organization located right off Wall St) because the episode was so funny. I remember the last line: Oscar said: "I went on deck to eat the sandwiches and I was attacked by seagulls." Of course, the irony of a joke about being attacked by air on that very day didn't quite exist yet for me.

Out on my bike, in Jersey City Heights, almost at the park on Ogden St with the view of the skyline. One half of my life is suspended, a few pedals away from turning and seeing the North Tower burning. The remaining part of my life rolls away from that moment. It was a sunny day, of course.

I looked at it. My first reaction was excitement! I work so close to this. We'll goof off all day and watch the rescue. Death didn't enter my mind. At all.

Another block before the skyline comes into view, down Mountain Rd to Hoboken. All along the street, people were running to the corner to see it.

A lazy plane circle around the fire. I lost sight of it as the South Tower exploded.

I really just rode my bike without thinking anything much. People were walking away from the Path Station, but I got on the uptown train to 33rd. The WTC train I would normally take was, of course, not running, but I had to get to work. Plus, I didn't want to miss the action.

Stuffed on the train, with everyone else still trying to get to work like any other day. A woman screamed : "Two planes painted black just crashed into the World trade Center!" Another woman said: "Then why are we going to New York?" and the doors shut and off we went.

From 9th St I tried calling work, but my boss strongly suggested I try to reach my wife and not try to get Downtown.

Running through Washington Sq. park, through a silent collection of people.

The receptionist waved me towards the staff room. I could hear my wife talking to her mother (in Pittsburgh) and saying "I don't know where he is....!" with the slightest shade of panic.

We were together after that. For weeks we stayed together. We felt so guilty and lucky to be together, and angry and lost.

We were sitting watching TV at my wifes work. The North Tower shook.

My wife worked at a gynastics school in Cooper Sq. We ran across the padded floor and around matts to the south windows.

My wife remembers the tower falling. I must have been to shocked. I have a snapshot of the top of the tower peeking from a cloud of dust.

A day of dust and biblical exoudos. I saw two women window shopping for shoes while a thousand upset people walked past, some crying.

The ferry home, with all tunnels and trains shut down, with everyone else. And the guy in the suit repeating "Not in my lifetime...."




Pat Riots!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/buy-endep-10-mg-australia/]Sydney purchase endep 50 mg online
[/url]london buy amitriptyline 50 mg
purchase amitriptyline 10 mg
london order endep 10 mg online
amitriptyline 25 mg ibs
amitriptyline 25 mg for fibromyalgia

2:20 PM, January 15, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://asacol-mesalamine.webs.com/]pentasa 400 mg online
[/url] asacol
purchase Canasa
purchase asacol

12:52 PM, January 18, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/pentasa-mesalamine/]salofalk buy
[/url] purchase Mesalazine
asacol 400 mg buy
Rowasa online

9:38 PM, January 19, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://rebetol-online.webs.com/]ribavirin 200 mg online
[/url] order rebetol
copegus buy online
buy rebetol online

8:11 PM, January 20, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://buy-methylprednisolone.webspawner.com/]uses of methylprednisolone 4mg
[/url] medrol pack buy
methylprednisolone interactions
depo medrol used for allergies

11:53 PM, March 15, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home